9.28.2007

When you learn how to die, you learn how to live

I got this book by sheer chance. I was at my friend's cube and there was this book on her desk. The bibliophile that I am, I picked it up to see what is it about. My friend suggested me to read it and I complied. Home from office, I started reading India: A Million Mutinies Now and was done with the quota for that day when I thought of perusing through Tuesdays with Morrie.

The simple language got me interested and before I knew I had finished a fourth of the book. Then it was a race against time. The 30 odd pages that were unread were taken care of in the morning at the cost of my morning newspaper ritual. To the book...

The story is about a Mitch Albom,who after unsuccessfully dabbling in music for sometime makes it big in sports reporting. Somtimes, He remembers his graduation days' discussions with his professor of psychology, Morrie. How he had promised to keep in touch but how the mad rush, sometimes for money, sometimes out of habit, cut that cord. An interview of Morrie on television, which Mitch chances upon while flipping channels, reveals that his favourite teacher or "coach", as he calls him, he suffering from a terminal disease.

The book is about the conversations between Mitch and Morrie, mostly with Morrie speaking. Views on life, the rush, the futility of it all. The need to develop your own culture if the extant one does not deem appropriate. To sum up, a nice read which will leave with you good feeling without taking the time of a tome.

No comments:

Post a Comment